West Bath is located on the Maine coast between Brunswick and Bath. It is approximately 35 miles north of Portland on Route 1. Crossing the New Meadows River, West Bath is the gateway to Sagadahoc County as you travel on Route 1 north from Brunswick. All areas of town can be reached from Route 1 (northbound or southbound) via the New Meadows Road exits.
HISTORY: During colonial times, West Bath, Bath, Arrowsic, Phippsburg, and Five Islands were referred to as The Parish of Georgetown. Just at the time when Greene was campaigning against Cornwallis in the Carolinas, the Parish petitioned to be made a Town and, in 1781, the Parish incorporated as Bath. West Bath separated and incorporated as a town on February 14, 1844. According to local lore, Bath and West Bath were separated because West Bath farmers objected to paying taxes for
TODAY, The current population of West Bath is 1,877 year-round residents, with many more seasonal residents. The Town currently functions under a Board of Selectmen-Town Administrator-Town Meeting form of municipal government. It is a member of the Maine Municipal Association.
West Bath Town Hall under construction 1989. Pictured are Building Committee members back row left to right: Arthur J. Reno Sr., Willard McCabe, Lewis Atwood, Richard Coombs. Front: Courtney Stover, Kathleen Rogers.
Day-to-day West Bath District Court, a recycling transfer station operated by Pine Tree Waste, a bustling commercial district, and the best clam flats in the area.